Skip to main content

God's man: Joshua

A few days ago I started the amazing book of Joshua. I always knew that Joshua was an incredible, godly man but I don't think I understood just how dedicated he was. We often think that Joshua simply became the next leader of Israel because Moses died. The fact is that he was preparing for it for years. If you recall, Joshua was Moses' disciple for many years and on of the twelve spies who believed in God rather than man. So this man was equipped with the teachings of God's chosen leader and an unwavering belief in God. With this background God Himself spoke to him.
God informed Joshua that he would now be the leader of the Israelites and that it would be his task to bring them into the Promised land. Now this may seem like a simple task, especially with the Almighty God on his side but even with this assurance leading several thousand rebellious people into an unknown land is daunting. Little wonder God told Joshua three times, "be strong and courageous" for I am with you. If God gave me this task I would undoubtedly falter and ask God to pick someone else. However, this is not how Joshua reacted. Instead he did just as God told him and continued to obey throughout his life. God rewarded him for this.
In chapter two we are told the story of Rahab and the two spies which is the first sign to Joshua of God's faithfulness. God chose to bring the spies to the house of a woman who was willing to sacrifice her very life (if she was found out she would have probably been executed) for the sake of fulfilling God's purpose. In short, God chose the most unlikely of woman, a prostitute to get the wheel rolling. If this was not a sign and encouragement to Joshua, I don't know what would be. So with this exciting story of God's faithfulness Joshua prepared to cross the Jordan.
As a child I always wondered what the big deal about crossing a little river was. I pictured a little creek flowing pleasantly by and wondered what on earth was stopping the Israelites from crossing it. However we are told that this river was especially high because of flooding season as Keil and Delitzsch say in their commentary "the Jordan at that time was so high as to overflow its banks, so that it was impossible to cross the fords." Isn't it just like God to pick to time when the river is most dangerous to cross it? So with this daunting river ahead of them Joshua did not falter but continued to press on fully assured that God was for them.
So the procession began, first the priests with the Arc came to the edge of the river and just as with the Red sea, the river parted all the way to the other end and the people crossed safely. On a side note, I believe God had the priests go first because He wanted to make very clear that He was the one responsible for getting them to the other side. So God did it again and gave the people a new respect for Joshua which was necessary for him to be able to lead successfully. Then before they moved on, God said, stop and remember. He told men of each tribe to grab a stone from the center of the Jordan, (it was still parted) and make a little alter of remembrance. See, we as humans are so forgetful and often doubt God because of this. To keep this from happening again, God said, stop, think about what just happened, and set up a physical remembrance to it.
And this is where I will end, set to conquer the Promised land and with the first sign of God's continued assistance fresh in the Israelites mind. Lets see what God will do with it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Walking...

So this is the moment we have all been waiting for, the day Israel finally conquers their enemies and takes the Promised land by...walking around a wall? I am sure many of you have heard the classic story of the fall of the Jericho wall but I want to take another look at it because there are always juicy details that we seem to miss as we read through the story. The first thing I wanted to point out is the state of the inhabitants of Jericho. In the cartoons we always see the people (or veggies) mocking Israel from the top of the wall, this is not what happened! Remember yesterday how I stated that many of the kings were paralyzed with fear because of the Israelites and their God, well, they were not the only ones. Joshua 6 starts, "now Jericho was tightly shut because of the sons of Israel; no one went out and no one came in." Think about it, isn't a little odd that no one is going in or out of the city for food, water, or supplies? Usually cities are open all day and on

Reality

Yesterday marked the last day of work. I went throughout the work day as usual, feeling no different. Then as I was checking over everything, for the last time, it hit me. I realized suddenly that I was just one more step closer to leaving. I felt not so sad as odd. Realizing that I may never work there again was difficult to take in. Then today I met my good friend to say goodbye. All went well but when I laid down to take a nap after coming home I suddenly felt a great sadness over the fast approaching departure and I started to cry. I am still processing it all but I think I am understanding it more slowly and am scared. God give me strength.

Themes

It often seems that the Old Testament is boring, unneeded, and well, old. However, I have committed to reading through the entire Bible because I am convinced that every part of, God's Word is important. Though I started this task with little to no enthusiasm I find that I have been greatly blessed in the midst of this challenge. The more I read, the more I am convinced that I must record what I learn and observe because it is all so amazingly wonderful. I am not going to give you all the juicy details right away, but I do want to explain the title of my blog. As I read through the wondrous book we call the Bible, I keep coming across three main themes, rebellion, sacrifice, and grace. From the eating of the forbidden fruit in Eden to the erecting of idols in Israel to the aversion to the church today, mankind has rebelled against their creator. If God tells us to do something, we do the opposite. It seems that whether on purpose or by mistake, we are continuously putting our Lord